Thursday, December 17, 2009

Worst Christmas / Best Christmas


The countdown to Christmas has started and it's getting really close! It always makes me think back on years past -I'm sure we've all had a Worst Christmas and a Best Christmas here's mine:


Worst Christmas:
We decided to travel across the state to visit family a few years ago -2001 I think it was. We being- me,the hubs,my daughter (who was about 3 then), and we even picked up my sis from her college dorm room on the way. We were going to visit my in-laws and my dad who at the time lived in the same town(kinda how me and the hubby met ;)

We were ready to have a happy Christmas gathering. But, right when we got to my dad's and my husband called his family to let them know we made it- He got the news that his younger brother was in the hospital-He already had a lot of medical complications. Unfortunately,his problems were really bad this time he had to be life flighted to the Children's Hospital in OKC. I believe he was the same age as my daughter is now-11 when he passed away that Christmas morning...

My husband was with his family while I stayed with my daughter at my dad's. But, I also spent time at the In-laws house. Being newlyweds I was still a bit uncomfortable around "his" family and I really didn't know what to do or say. Christmas was still going on and I tried to help where I could while taking care of my daughter. We somehow managed to get Christmas dinner and all going and tried to have somewhat of a normal Christmas for the other kids and such.

Unfortunately there was also funeral and other arrangments to take care of. We of course stayed longer than planned for the funeral and everything. Even though it was snowing a little once we were ready to leave we really needed to head back home-So,we were on our way.

We were only on the road maybe an hour or so when there was a wreck ahead of us. We slowed down but, the guy behind us did not slow down enough in time -We were hit! Our vehicle spun around -it was kinda slow motion as the front of the car hit the emergency vehicle that was already working the other wreck. I don't remember everything- I know some people helped us out of the vehicle and someone mentioned that I had a seatbelt burn-And I was grateful that a few moments before my sister had reminded me to put my seatbelt on. I know it was still snowing and cold and some guy let us stay in his truck and stay warm. I remember being glad that there was no serious injuries but, worried that our 1 and only car was totalled. Eventually we got ahold of our family and the In-laws came and got us-I'm glad they did even though they had a lot of other stuff going on. I remember that we were all doing fairly well but, got checked out to be sure -I guess after the adrenaline started to wear off there was some pain due to bumps and bruises. We had alot of wreck details to take care of-Police reports,Insurance,Getting a lawyer,-etc. It was also kinda hard because some places were still closed because of the holidays/new year. And not too mention that we were stranded 300 miles away from our home with no car. We literally had to do some car shopping just so we could leave-Not that we had any money for that. Luckily we finally found a good used car that my dad pretty much bought for us. And we eventually made it back home. We were gone so long we had a lot of stuff to take care of -at our jobs and all. I remember I was pretty much "pointed out" at my job and had to get reinstated and everything. And we saw a chiropracter for awhile -etc. too.

So, that was my worst Christmas -Now for my...


Best Christmas:
Luckily there are plenty more good Christmases than bad- It's actually kind of hard to pick my BEST Christmas. There's a few -Like the 1st year we were in this house-Our very own home finally -And I was pregnant with my son then too! And maybe it was part of the nesting but, I got a wild hair to host Christmas here. I might have mentioned that it's hard to fit in my dad's side,mom's side,and in-law's side too. So, it was nice to have everyone here-even though it was a bit stressful at times- it was really nice.
Another good Christmas was after my son was born and our little family being together in our home. There's plenty of good Christmases with different sides of the family -each one being a bit different in their own way-For instance I always enjoy doing White Elephants with my dad's side of the family.


And even though the past couple of years have been a bit bleak -I know what a really bad Christmas is like so, I try to be glad for what we do have. How about you- your worst/best Christmas?
And here's hoping to a good Christmas -for all of us!

No comments: