Wednesday, July 8, 2009

About my son...

After becoming pregnant with my 2nd child I decided to be a Stay-at-home-mom. I knew it would be a transition. And I know each kid is different but there have been some difficult times. I've probably mentioned that ever since my son was a newborn we've dealt with his milk/dairy allergy. There have been other things that stuck out as "different" to me like when my grandma visited us and said my son "is different -he's very wiggly"-This from a woman who had 4 boys of her own. So, often times I would think I know my son is active but that's pretty normal for a little boy-Right? But could he be too hyper?
I think as much as we don't want to admit we go over in our heads "evaluating" our kids -Are they "normal" ? Of course I know some of it is the transition of being a stay-at-home-mom. So this has been a constant round and round in my head -Maybe he's normal and I'm just not used to being around and dealing with it all day. He's just a rowdy little boy that does different things or is there something else ??
So, just to be sure we went to the Dr. last week-They evaluated his speech/behavior. It was interesting the Dr. gave my son chalk to draw on the chalkboard. Then he threw down some blocks to see what my son would do...At 1st my son just ignored them. Then he picked them up and put them on the little kids table and proceeded to line them up. The Dr. asked if he lines things up a lot?- "He does" I answered. (I had always wondered about that too). The Dr. would just observe and talk with me -It was kinda difficult cause my son tried to leave the room a few times and sometimes I would stroke my son's hair. And the Dr. kept reminding me to not "interrupt". The Dr. would say as a mom I'm trying to protect him and our roles are different in that way -But really try not to interfere-So, I tried not to.

So what all came of this Dr's appt? Well the Dr. said that obviously he is intelligent like when he started counting the blocks. And he's not too bad on his speech. But, his brain does work a little differently. The Dr. compared him to Bill Gates(obviously he's smart but, Bill didn't talk until he was 4 and was a bit "different")
My son does exhibit some ADHD behaviors and some Autistic behaviors but,would not be fully considered that. So he falls into the category of PDD or PDD-NOS. I still don't know much about it but of course have researched it some. I have found this website informative. At this point there's not really any treatment just another evaluation in 6mo's to see his progress. I think it will be 1 of those things that we'll have to see if this affects him at school or not too. The Dr. did say a few other "tips" like when my son kept trying to get into my purse even after saying not to. The Dr. said I should move my purse -That it could fall into his "repetitive behaviors" so it may not be him disobeying on purpose and that we should move him or the object away. Another thing that was interesting is that my son has always been "underweight" part of it is not being able to utilize milk,creamy sauces,etc. Some is also his picky eating/behaviors. The Dr. said that my son probably does have a bad association with food since his allergy experience-Causing pick eating behaviors. Which does make sense-I never thought of it that way. So, it was all interesting and at least I know more. As they say knowing is half the battle-And we will continue on.

No comments: